The HNC in Mechanical Engineering provides a specialist work-related programme of study that covers key knowledge, understanding and practical skills required in the mechanical engineering sector and also offers particular specialist emphasis through the choice of specialist units.
There are 8 units to complete over 2 years on a day release basis:
● Engineering Design – core mandatory (15 credits)
● Engineering Maths – core mandatory (15 credits)
● Engineering Science – core mandatory (15 credits)
● Managing a Professional Engineering Project - Pearson Set (30 credits)
● Mechanical Principles (15 credits)
● Fundamentals of Thermodynamics and Heat Engines (15 credits)
● Computer Aided Design and Manufacture (15 credits)
● Electro, Hydraulic and Pneumatic Systems (15 credits)
The BTEC course has been designed to:
● provide a nationally recognised qualification offering career progression and professional development for those already in employment and opportunities to progress into higher education. The qualification is primarily undertaken by part-time learners studying over 2 years.
● give learners the opportunity to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
● encourage learners to progress to a higher qualification or related area of study.
Anyone applying for this course is required to have at least one of the following qualifications:
● BTEC National Certificate in Engineering
● BTEC National Diploma in Engineering
● BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Engineering
● BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Engineering
● C&G Level 3 Diploma in engineering that must include Unit 331 – Advanced Mathematics and Science
● C&G Level 3 Diploma in engineering that is supplemented with BTEC Level 3 Diploma units in Mathematics and Mechanical Principles.
Applications via UCAS, use code: 003H
Upon completion of the HNC, applicants may wish to progress onto the Higher National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering – after which you will be able to apply for roles such as: Design Engineer, Production Engineer, Project Engineer, Sales Engineer, Estimator, CAD/CAM Engineer, and CNC Programmer.