● 100% achievement and 100% high grades achieved in 2017-18 with top grades D*D*D* (triple distinction star) awarded to 3 of our graphic design students.
● Outstanding Value Added scores in 2018.
● Digital Advantage winners in 2018.
● GMCG competition winners in 2018.
● Close links with university courses, ideal for progression within the creative industries.
● Live client briefs to prepare you for the world of work.
Are you a creative person in love with design? Do you want to do and learn more? On this course you will work on a huge range of design projects such as illustration, logo design and branding, promotional campaigns, album artwork, website and app design, magazine spreads, animations, packaging, fashion and more. Competitions and live briefs are also used to give you a genuine experience of professional design practice.
The Graphic Design two year course is an in depth and creatively challenging course which gives you the opportunity to explore all aspects of design, learning the tricks of the trade as you experience and practice with a range of creative techniques, processes and ideas. This course is 100% coursework and you will complete a mix of challenging projects as you analyse the work of others and develop various skills and creative outcomes. Projects and example outcomes include online and social media content, logos, branding, illustrations and animations, photography, book design, posters, t-shirts, magazine designs, web and app designs and lots more.
The course is designed to give you the breadth and depth of skills and experiences needed to progress either to university, a creative apprenticeship or go straight into employment, ready to hit the ground running. You will learn how to use software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Animate and more, giving you the competitive edge needed to succeed. You will also develop graphic skills using traditional art materials and techniques as you draw, paint, craft and create a broad range of outcomes. All this will allow you to generate a huge body of work and create a portfolio tailored to your progression goals.
Outside of your lessons there are opportunities to continue to achieve and succeed by taking advantage of the creative facilities at the college. We have a large library with a huge selection of art and design books, iMacs are in communal areas and cameras are available for loan. We have 6 Mac rooms equipped with the latest creative industry software as well as art and photography studios and the opportunity for collaborative work with students from other art and design courses.
You will be working within a professional design studio atmosphere and supported by dedicated subject specialist teaching staff with industry experience that will encourage you to develop all-round skills to fulfil your own creative potential.
Following successful completion of this 2 year course you will receive a Level 3 qualification in Graphic Design and up to 168 UCAS points. The course is also recognised by employers and apprenticeship schemes.
If you dream of a career in the creative industries and want to gain the skills needed as you produce a portfolio of amazing creative work, this is for you.
You can expect to experience, develop and master a huge range of skills and techniques as you respond to a wide range of creative challenges in a stimulating and responsive environment. This course is designed to give you the experiences needed to become an all-round designer or specialise in your chosen area as you develop your own style.
Graphic design at Level 3 is 100% coursework with elements of theory and research but the course is weighted towards practical and creative tasks including individual design projects, group work and communication tasks. This will enable you to develop a broad suite of skills, knowledge and understanding which is further supported by trips, visits to university, apprenticeship and employment events, creative competitions, live briefs and more. You will be pushed and inspired as you develop new creative ways of thinking and working.
● You are required to have 4 GCSE’s at grade 4 or above, including English and/or Maths.
● A demonstrable interest in graphic design, art, photography, design technology, IT or similar.
● A successful interview with a graphic design tutor where you will be expected to bring a portfolio of work that demonstrates your skills and creativity.
● Good verbal and written communication skills.
● Good drawing and/or digital skills are a bonus.
This course is made up of units of work that are set by teachers and real world clients but delivered and assessed within the classroom and college environment. You will receive a project brief for each that introduces you to a scenario, question or creative challenge to solve. This will take you on a creative journey that could require you to produce responses to creative work, digital artwork and designs, design logs, mixed media outcomes, 3D work, animations, analysis, experimental work, presentations and much more.
All of these requirements will be supported through specialist skills-building workshops, tutorials, advice, guidance, feedback and discussion. Staff in this area pride themselves on their ability to work with each individual learner to realise their creative potential.
This is a graded course where you can achieve up to a grade D*D*D*.
On successful completion of this 2 year qualification you can progress onto:
● A range of degree level creative courses at University, including graphic design, photography, architecture, animation and illustration, etc.
● An Apprenticeship or Degree Level Apprenticeship within the creative industries.
● Employment within the creative industry, including graphic design, social media, web design and content creation, art worker, marketing, packaging, creative arts, etc.