This is a five-day over two week’s course, split into sections throughout each day.
Throughout the course, we will provide you with sufficient understanding and knowledge, of the different aspects of a taxi driver’s role. This course will prepare you for your progression into employment as a taxi driver. The course will run for five day’s over two weeks. We will cover the nine units below. At the end of each unit you will be required to take a multiple-choice test.
1. Health and Safety in the Taxi and Private Hire Work Environment
2. Road Safety when Driving Passengers in a Taxi or Private Hire Vehicle
3. Professional Customer Service in the Taxi or Private Hire Industry
4. Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Maintenance and Safety Inspections
5. The Regulatory Framework of the Taxi or Private Hire Industry
6. Taxi or Private Hire Services for Passengers who Require Assistance
7. Routes and Fares in the Taxi or Private Hire Vehicle Industries
8. Transporting of Parcels, Luggage and Other Items in the Taxi or Private Hire Industries
9. Transporting of Children and Young Persons by Taxi or Private Hire Vehicle
Students will be sent a course pack this will consist of workbooks which you will be required to read before the start of the course. During the course students will be given handouts on, driver’s conditions of licence, safeguarding and a course booklet. This will help them with any homework they may have and as a future referencing tool.
You will be required to bring your picture driving licence with you on the first day of the course. You will also need to ensure you wear your student I.D. badge at all times whilst on the college premises.
On passing the course, you will receive two certificates. The first certificate is from City and Guilds which takes between two and six weeks depending on the time of year.
Your tutor has over 30 years’ experience within the transport Industry and gained his Tameside taxi badge in 2009. The course will give you the knowledge surrounding the latest legislation surrounding Driving Licences, Seatbelt Law and Disability.
More than just a course
Here at Tameside College you will taught by trained staff, who will give you the skills and knowledge to help you excel in your chosen profession.
You are required to have a good level of spoken English and maths, be able to complete an entry level 3 Maths and English assessment. You are also required to have good basic computer skills as the City and Guilds tests are computer based.
On successful completion of this qualification you can then go on to complete the 15 literacy questions on Tameside area knowledge. You will be notified of your result by email. If successful a second unique college certificate will be sent to you, showing your student id number. This will be sent to you through the post. A copy of the certificate may also be sent to the council to help eliminate fraud. On receipt of this and any other tests you may have had to complete, you can then apply for your Taxi Driver’s Badge. You will need to take your pass certificate and student ID with you to the council.