This is full time study programme. You will sit a series of examinations in both the first and second year of the two year course; you must pass all the exams to gain the qualification. You will also submit a number of assignments. You will study for examinations and assignments which have their basis in Chemistry, Biology and Physics. You will learn through a variety of teaching methods which will aim to meet the needs of each individual and accommodate different learning styles for example, case studies, assessments, group work, practical work, projects, extended writing and interactive activities.
Throughout the course you will study 13 Units in total. These will include the areas of:
Core science, Investigation skills, Laboratory techniques, Physiology, Infection and Disease, Medical Physics, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, Biochemistry and Contemporary Issues.
The topics covered are relevant and link to many areas of employment or study with a medical professional and science career focus. The course will include practical and theory Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
You are required to have 5 GCSEs at grade 4or above, including Maths and Science.
● You will be assessed through a variety of methods including discussions, practical’s, guest speakers, displays, case studies, presentations, extended written work and timed assessments throughout the course.
● There are 8 written examinations spread across year one and two as well as practical assessment and assignments.
● All units must be achieved at Pass or above to achieve the qualification.
On successful completion of this qualification you can progress onto:
● Degree level study of Biomedical Science, Environmental Science, Biochemistry or another science related subject.
● It also provides you with useful and transferable skills which can be appropriate to many other areas of study or employment.
● Apprenticeship or higher level apprenticeship in a science related role.