The course is designed to help develop the skills and qualities you would need to work in the Public Services. You will experience a range of activities including classroom based learning, physical fitness training, outdoor and adventurous activities and a comprehensive work experience programme with a range of Public Service organisations.
Throughout the course you will study a range of topics including:
● Searching for a Job
● Public Service Careers
● Improving Health & Fitness
● Map Reading
● Public Service Incidents
● Personal Skills for the Public Services
● Practical Teamwork
● You will be taught by a number of tutors with real life Public Service experience and a Progress Tutor who will specifically look after your pastoral and study programme needs.
● Assessment involves a range of methods including group discussions, posters, report writing, presentations, photographic & video evidence and a range of practical and outdoor assessments. There is currently no formal exam with this course.
● The course includes a comprehensive work experience programme with involvement from many of our Public Service organisations including the British Army, Royal Marines, Greater Manchester Police, Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service and a range of guest speakers including former students now serving within our Public Services.
● Students may get the opportunity to take part in residential trips throughout the course so if you may want to consider spending some time away with the Royal Marines, the British Army or the Royal Navy to see what life is really like on a military base then this could be the course for you.
No formal qualifications are required but a range of GCSE grades from 1-3 (new grading system) would be beneficial. This course is suitable if you are considering a career in Uniformed Public Services - the Armed Forces, the Police, the Prison Service, HM Revenue and Customs, the Ambulance and Paramedic Services or the Fire and Rescue Service.
On successful completion of this qualification you can progress onto:
● NCFE Level 2 Diploma for Entry to the Uniformed Services (1 year)
● Make an application to join the Public Service of your choice.