- 100% achievement and higher than national average for high grades in graphic design
- Close links with university courses, ideal for progression within the creative industries
- Live client briefs to prepare you for the world of work
The Graphic Design A-Level course is an exciting and creatively challenging course which gives you the opportunity to learn as you experience and practice with a range of creative concepts, techniques and ideas. This a-level is 100% coursework and you will complete a mix of challenging projects by looking at a range of creative work by others as you develop various skills and outcomes, including online and social media content, logos, branding, illustrations and animations, magazine designs, posters, web and app designs and lots more.
The course is designed to introduce you to a wide variety of graphic media and techniques used in promotion, illustration, image creation and more. You will learn how to use software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign which will give you the competitive edge you need to get into University or prepare you for working in the design industry. You will also develop graphic skills using traditional art materials and techniques as you draw, paint, craft and create a broad range of outcomes.
Outside of your lessons there are opportunities to continue to achieve and succeed by taking advantage of the creative facilities at the college. We have a large library with a huge selection of art and design books, iMacs are in communal areas and cameras are available for loan. We have 6 Mac rooms equipped with the latest creative industry software as well as art and photography studios and the opportunity for collaborative work with students from other art and design courses.
You will be working within a professional design studio atmosphere and supported by dedicated subject specialist teaching staff with industry experience who will encourage you to develop all-round skills to fulfil your own creative potential.
Following successful completion of this 2 year course you will receive an A-Level in Graphic Design and upto 56 UCAS points. The course is also recognised by employers and apprenticeship schemes.
If you dream of a career in the creative industries and want to gain the skills needed as you produce a portfolio of amazing creative work, this is for you.
You can expect to experience, develop and master a broad range of skills and techniques as you respond to a range of creative challenges in a stimulating and responsive environment. This course is designed to give you the experiences needed to become an all-round designer or specialise in your chosen area as you develop your own style.
Graphic design a-level is 100% coursework with elements of theory and research but the course is weighted towards practical and creative tasks including individual design projects, group work and communication tasks. This will enable you to develop a suite of skills, knowledge and understanding which is further supported by trips, visits to university, apprenticeship and employment events, creative competitions, live briefs and more. You will be pushed and inspired as you develop new creative ways of thinking and working.
- You are required to have 4 GCSEs at grade 4 including English and/or maths. Grade 4 or above in an art related GCSE.
- A demonstrable interest in graphic design or a GCSE in a creative subject (eg. art and design, graphic design, photography, design technology, IT or similar)
- A successful interview with a graphic design tutor where you will be expected to bring a portfolio of work that demonstrates your skills and creativity
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good drawing and/or digital skills are a bonus
This course is made up of projects that are set by teachers and real world clients but delivered and assessed within the classroom and college environment. You will receive a project brief for each that introduces you to a scenario, question or creative challenge to solve. This will take you on a creative journey that could require you to produce responses to creative work, digital artwork and designs, design logs, mixed media outcomes, 3D work, animations, analysis, experimental work, presentations and much more.
All of these requirements will be supported through specialist skills-building workshops, tutorials, advice, guidance, feedback and discussion. Staff in this area pride themselves on their ability to work with each individual learner to realise their creative potential.
This is a graded course where you can achieve upto a grade A*.
On successful completion of this 2 year qualification, in combination with other A-levels, you can progress onto:
- A range of creative degree courses at University, including graphic design, photography, architecture, animation and illustration, etc
- An Apprenticeship or degree level Apprenticeship within the creative industries
- Employment within the creative industry, including graphic design, social media, web design and content creation, artworker, marketing, packaging, creative arts, etc