This is a full time study programme. You will sit an exam for each of the 3 units of:
- The legal system and criminal law
- Law making and the law of tort
- Further Law
The results for each paper will be combined and aggregated by the exam board and will result in one overall grade.
You will learn through a variety of teaching methods which will aim to meet the needs of each individual and accommodate different learning styles for example, case studies, assessments, group work, practical work, projects, extended writing and interactive activities.
The OCR A Level in Law content focuses on the English legal system and areas of both private and public law within the law of England and Wales. Learners will be required to show knowledge and understanding of the nature of law and the English legal system. This will provide learners with the foundation for the study of both private and public law. This specification will develop learners’ understanding of legal method and reasoning through the study of statutory interpretation and judicial precedent. Learners will be introduced to the concept of legal liability through the study of criminal law and the law of tort.
This will enable them to develop and apply the techniques of legal method and reasoning to
analyse and offer answers to legal problems, based on legal rules and principles and develop the ability to construct and communicate legal arguments by reference to appropriate legal authorities. The A Level in Law will develop learners’ knowledge of law through advanced study of an additional legal subject – human rights law or the law of contract. They will develop their critical awareness of the law through the study of the nature of law.
The English legal system and the nature of law is split into three sections:
● Component 01 Section A: the legal system
● Component 02 Section A: law making
● Component 03: Section A: the nature of law
You will have the opportunity to
Engage in an exciting and innovative course which has been to inspire, nurture and develop learners. It will foster an interest and enjoyment in law. The qualification is designed to develop knowledge and skills for the further study of law, and related subjects, such as business. You will develop your knowledge of the law in England and Wales, and an awareness of law in a European and global context. The course will enable you to know and understand the changing nature of law and the interaction between law, morals, justice, society and technology.
Learning Aims and Objectives
● develop your knowledge and understanding of the English legal system and areas of both
private and public law within the law of England and Wales
● develop an understanding of legal method and reasoning as used by lawyers and the judiciary.
● develop and apply the techniques of legal method and reasoning to analyse and offer answers to problems, based on legal principles, legislation and case law.
● develop the ability to construct conclusions and communicate legal arguments by reference to appropriate legal authorities.
● develop the ability to communicate persuasive legal arguments by reference to appropriate
● be able to demonstrate critical awareness of the influence and operation of the law in society
You are required to have 5 GCSEs at grade 5 including English.
You will be interviewed on enrolment to assess your suitability for the course.
● You will be assessed through formal written assessment
● There are 9 Formal assessments, including 3 written examinations in year 1 and 8 formal assessments including 3 written examinations in year 2.
On successful completion of this qualification you can progress onto many things such as
● An A Level in Law can naturally lead to further studies at university, including Law , Business Studies, Politics and Criminology.
● Those who have studied Law have often progressed onto careers in law, advertising, the civil service, Politics, Police, Armed Forces, Education, Health, Marketing and anything else the that involves contracts or making critical decisions,
● In short law is life and life is law. Everything we do involves the law!