Level 3 qualifications are renowned within the early years sector. Learners will develop the skills and knowledge needed for a rewarding career as an early years practitioner and provide you with the full and relevant status of being an ‘Early Years Educator’. This is a full time, 2 year study programme, which covers a range of early years topics. Units are assessed, both internally and externally by subject specialist teachers and assessors. There are two exams over the duration of the course. One exam will be carried out each year. You will cover a variety of topics that link to early years. Some of the topics covered are:
● Child development
● Children’s health and well-being
● Providing safe environments for children
● Understanding children’s additional needs
If you are interested in making a difference to children’s lives with a rewarding career in early years then this is the course for you. You could be looking to work with babies, younger children or children with learning disabilities and this qualification could be the first step on that exciting journey. Early years courses provide broad based learning around the physical, intellectual, communication, emotional and social needs of children and young people. Subject teachers have industry experience which is shared with learners. This provides a stimulating learning environment and promotes positive learning. The course will also help develop those all-important employability skills that will help you decide on your career path.
On this 2 year course, you are required to have a disclosure and barring service check (DBS); this allows you to access the mandatory work experience that is required to develop your skill set within the early years sector. As part of the course you will be required to attend a mandatory placement, two days per week, working within an early years setting. A dedicated placement assessor will support you while you gain hands-on work based industry skills; this allows you to gain a real life insight into the sector. You will gain sector specific knowledge and experience from guest speakers and educational visits
Learners should have 5 GCSEs grade 4 or above including mathematics and/ or English. You will be interviewed by the subject teachers and should be enthusiastic about working with babies, children and young people and able to participate in work placement. You will be required to re-sit your English and/or mathematics alongside your early years course (If you do not already have grade 4)
● You will be assessed through a variety of assessment methods including discussions, displays, case studies, presentations and written work.
● Over the 2 years, learners will be observed in placement by a qualified assessor. This will be conducted to ensure each learner is competent in working within an early years setting.
● Each unit on the course is graded A* to D. There will be two external assessments (exams) over the duration of the course, which are also graded A* to D.
On successful completion of this two year qualification you can progress onto:
● Foundation Degree at Tameside College
● Full time employment in an early years setting