The course is designed to help develop the skills and qualities you would need to work in the Uniformed Services. You will experience a range of activities including classroom based learning, physical fitness training, outdoor and adventurous activities and a comprehensive work experience programme with a range of Uniformed Service organisations.
Throughout the course you will study a range of topics including:
● Investigating Employment
● Physical Fitness
● Health & Hygiene
● Uniformed Services Routine
● Equality & Diversity
● Map Reading
● Adventurous Activities
● You will be taught by a number of tutors with real life Uniformed Service experience and a Progress Tutor who will specifically look after your pastoral and study programme needs.
● Assessment involves a range of methods including group discussions, posters, report writing, presentations, photographic & video evidence and a range of practical and outdoor assessments. There is currently no formal exam with this course.
● The course includes a comprehensive work experience programme with involvement from many of our Uniformed Service organisations including the British Army, Royal Marines, Greater Manchester Police, Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service and a range of guest speakers including former students now serving within our Uniformed Services.
● Students may get the opportunity to take part in residential trips throughout the course so if you may want to consider spending some time away with the Royal Marines, the British Army or the Royal Navy to see what life is really like on a military base then this could be the course for you.
Learners are required to have 4 GCSEs at level 3 or above (new grading system) including equivalents and are required to undertake a pre-course interview. GCSE’s at level 3 need to include Maths and English Language or Literature. Candidates will be expected to be enthusiastic about embarking on a career in the Uniformed Services and engage fully with all aspects of their study programme.
On successful completion of this qualification you can progress onto:
● NCFE Level 3 Diploma for Entry to the Uniformed Services (1 year)
● Make an application to join the Uniformed Service of your choice.