The course is designed to help develop the skills and qualities you would need to work in the Uniformed Services. You will experience a range of activities including classroom based learning, physical fitness training, outdoor and adventurous activities and a comprehensive work experience programme with a range of Uniformed Service organisations.
Throughout the course you will study a range of topics including:
● Investigating Employment
● Physical Fitness
● Conflict Management
● Uniformed Services Routine
● Map Reading & Navigation
● Adventurous Activities
● Government, International Organisations and Media Studies
● You will be taught by a number of tutors with real life Uniformed Service experience and a Progress Tutor who will specifically look after your pastoral and study programme needs.
● Assessment involves a range of methods including group discussions, posters, report writing, presentations, photographic & video evidence and a range of practical and outdoor assessments. There is no formal exam but students are encouraged to aim for higher level grades within the pass/merit/distinction grading system.
● The course includes a comprehensive work experience programme with involvement from many of our Uniformed Service organisations including the British Army, Royal Marines, Greater Manchester Police, Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service and a range of guest speakers including former students now serving within our Uniformed Services.
● Students may get the opportunity to take part in residential trips throughout the course so if you may want to consider spending some time away with the Royal Marines, the British Army or the Royal Navy to see what life is really like on a military base then this could be the course for you.
Learners are required to have 4 GCSEs at level 4 (new grading system) including equivalents and will also be required to undertake a pre-course interview and assessment day. GCSE’s at level 4 need to include Maths and English Language or Literature. Candidates will be expected to be enthusiastic about embarking on a career in the Uniformed Public Services and engage fully with all aspects of the course.
On successful completion of this qualification you may have the opportunity to progress onto:
● BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Public Services.
● Make an application to join the Uniformed Service of your choice.