The world of business is a dynamic and rapidly changing one. For you to succeed, you will need to learn and develop a wide range of new skills and demonstrate these in an often vibrant and competitive environment. You will have an amazing opportunity to achieve and demonstrate this in the 1 year course, which focuses predominantly on project-based coursework.
Your lessons will be structured in such a way that you will work to ‘Live Briefs’, meaning that most of your work will be project based, requiring you to work with commitment and team work as you develop your business skills and then have the opportunity to practice these in a simulated business environment.
This will include designing and developing a product or service to bring to market, designing a business plan to present to potential investors, learning how to manage the finances of a business as well as managing and delivering real projects on behalf of the college.
A warm welcome to YOU from THE centre of excellence in Business
The whole team is really excited to be joining you on the next step of your journey into the exciting world of business.
We really want you to enjoy your time with us and to be the very best version of yourself that you can possibly be. We will support you, challenge you and open your eyes to the potential for a fantastic and varied career in a multitude of industries.
● Whilst you will benefit from all of the advantages of being associated with a large college, our department gains much strength from being small, giving it a feel of closeness and a teacher: student ratio which ensures you will be supported, challenged and nurtured as an individual.
● You will be assigned a Progress Tutor who will specifically look after your pastoral and course requirements;
● You will have the opportunity to be involved in a rich and diverse enrichment programme, which will include;
o Plan, organise and manage a real life event
o Put theory into practice by participating in exciting enterprise challenges
o Gain work experience opportunities at prestigious venues throughout Manchester
o Inspirational visits to prestigious companies that are at the forefront of business opportunity
o Master classes by business professionals within large groups e.g. Yorkshire bank, Hilton Hotel group amongst others.
All of this will support you in;
● Development of your presentation skills;
● Boosting your IT skills;
● Improving your written and verbal communication;
● Developing your team-working skills;
● Developing your time management skills;
● Developing your numerical skills through the study of business finance.
We would expect students to have achieved a good level of English and Mathematics and so require 4 Grade 3’s (or equivalent) and above. However, if you have a real passion to study Business with us, but have not achieved the required grades, please do arrange to come in for a chat – we’re very happy to help to support you in your future.
You will be assessed through a variety of assessment methods including discussions, presentations, written work and practical assessments;
You will be assessed across 4 units of study, two of which are compulsory units.
Unit 1 Enterprise in the Business World, allows you to plan and create a business plan for your very own business start-up idea. This unit will allow you to develop the skills and knowledge to think about starting up your own enterprise in the future.
Unit 2 Finance, will be the only examined unit of the course, and will allow you to develop your numerical skills through learning how businesses manage their finances to ultimately make profit.
You will have two further units to study, for example Marketing (how businesses engage with customers through brand development and promotion techniques such as advertising and social media) to HR (how businesses manage and look after their employees). These units will also be coursework based, and can be assessed through group assessment, presentations, and live projects, meaning that you get to develop both your practical and academic skills.
Grading runs from Distinction* through to Distinction, Merit or Pass Level.
On successful completion of the course, you can progress onto:
● An Apprenticeship; working in a multitude of sectors in areas such as finance and accounting, and business administration
● Employment; often including office administration roles, office based sales roles etc)
● Education; many young people then go onto access L3 courses which act as a pathway into Higher Education.