This programme is the first step to gaining a qualification in the Construction Industry as a Construction Professional. The course has been developed in collaboration with employers and representatives from the Construction Industry, Higher Education and relevant professional bodies.
Level 3: Duration 2 Years. BTEC Pearson
Course covers many different aspects of Construction Management and Organisation.
Year 1 - Modules internally assessed unless stated –
1. Health, Safety in Construction and the Built Environment
2. Construction Principles
3. Construction Design
4. Tendering & Estimating
5. Provision of Primary Services in Construction
6. Building Services Science
7. Construction Technology
18 of the below optional units (to be discussed at interview/open evenings)
1. Graphical Detailing in Construction
2. Management of a Construction Project
3. Low Temperature Hot Water Systems in Building Services
4. Further Mathematics for Construction
5. Work Experience in the Construction Sector
6. Projects in Construction
7. Building Information Modelling
8. Quantity Surveying
9. Quality Control Management in Construction
10. Building Services Control Systems
11. Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Design
12. Use of Static and Dynamic Fluids in Building Services Engineering
13. Plumbing Technology in Building Services Engineering
14. Electrical Principles in Building Services Engineering
15. Electrical Installation Standards, Components and Design
16. Quantity Surveying Measurement Techniques in Building Services Engineering
17. Building Regulations and Control in Building Services Engineering
An Individual Learning Plan will be designed for your needs
● You will be assigned a Personal Tutor and a Progress Tutor who specifically look after your pastoral and course requirements
● You will work with the latest industry tooling as used by qualified Construction Professionals.
● On your course you will experience Industry talks, Industry visits and participate in a programme of work-experience designed to give you valuable skills required for you to succeed in the world of work.
● You will be encouraged to complete a C.V. and apply for Tameside College Apprenticeships within your chosen specialism.
Successful interview with a Construction Specialist. .
5 GCSE’s grade C or 4 -9 (Must include English or Maths).
In year 1 there are 3 units which are assessed externally by BTEC, these comprise of the following -
1 Construction Principles
2 Construction Design
3 Tendering and Estimating
All other units are assessed internally on a pass, merit or distinction grading
This qualification will prepare learners for direct employment in the construction and built
environment sector, and is ideal if they wish to enter a particular specialist area of work, such as:
● trainee site engineer
● trainee construction project technician
● trainee mechanical/electrical services technician
● trainee technician estimator/buyer/planner
● trainee construction design technician.
● Learners may use this qualification as a foundation for a further year of study to achieve a Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Building Studies