The course follows GCSE English Language Specifications. It enables learners to:
● read a wide range of texts, fluently and with good understanding
● read critically, and use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve writing
● write effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately
● use grammar correctly, punctuate and spell accurately
● acquire and apply a wide vocabulary, alongside a knowledge and understanding of grammatical terminology
In addition, learners will also:
● listen to and understand spoken language, and use spoken Standard English effectively. Spoken language will be reported on as part of the qualification, but it will not form part of the final mark and grade.
This course is demanding and fast paced. You need to be willing to work independently for two to three hours a week in addition to attending your class regularly. Your teachers will be supportive and will guide you. If you do not already read frequently, you need to start doing so to pass the two challenging exams at the end of the year.
● Experienced tutors and a number of certified GCSE English Language examiners who produce high-quality and engaging lessons and accompanying resources
● A pioneering digital learning experience to creatively supplement on-campus lessons
● Tameside College promotes a friendly and supportive environment, where learners can engage with positive, growth mindset in each English lesson
● Choice and Challenge activities to stretch learning and improve learning outcomes
● If required, close work with the Additional Learning Support team at Tameside College where an Individual Learning Plan will be designed for your needs
● There are no formal entry requirements to access this course. You will be assessed at the start of the course to ensure you are on the right English pathway for your current level.
● Formative assessment takes places at regular intervals throughout the year to help prepare you for the rigours of the 2 exam papers that you will sit during the summer external exams.
● GCSE exams are usually in the Summer (May/June). We ask that learners do not book holidays during these months.
? Access to Higher Education or a range of Level 3 qualifications.