Throughout the course, we will provide you with sufficient understanding and knowledge, of the different aspects of a taxi driver’s role. This course will prepare you for your progression into employment as a taxi driver. The course will run for six days over two weeks. We will cover the nine units below. At the end of each unit, you will be required to take a multiple-choice test. You will also need to complete a practical assessment, which involves loading a passenger in a wheelchair and securing a wheelchair to the vehicle. You will also be required to assist a passenger using a walking aid.
1. Health and Safety in the Taxi and Private Hire Work Environment
2. Road Safety when Driving Passengers in a Taxi or Private Hire Vehicle
3. Professional Customer Service in the Taxi or Private Hire Industry
4. Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Maintenance and Safety Inspections
5. The Regulatory Framework of the Taxi or Private Hire Industry
6. Taxi or Private Hire Services for Passengers who Require Assistance
7. Routes and Fares in the Taxi or Private Hire Vehicle Industries
8. Transporting of Parcels, Luggage and Other Items in the Taxi or Private Hire Industries
9. Transporting of Children and Young Persons by Taxi or Private Hire Vehicle
Here at Tameside College you will taught by trained staff, who will give you the skills and knowledge to help you excel in your chosen profession.
Your teachers have over 30 years experience within the transport Industry. They have gained the Tameside taxi badge, themselves.
The course will give you the knowledge surrounding the latest legislation surrounding driving licences, seatbelt law and the disability act.
Students will be sent a course pack this will consist of workbooks, which you will be required to read before the start of the course. During the course, students will be given handouts on drivers’ conditions of licence, safeguarding and a course booklet. This will help them with any homework they may have and to use as a future referencing tool
You are required to have a good level of spoken English and maths and should be able to complete an entry level 3 Maths and English assessment. You are also required to have good basic computer skills.
You will be assessed through a variety of assessment methods including discussions, presentations, extended written work and practical assessments.
There are a total of 9 computer based tests that you are required to pass. You will complete a test after each completed unit.
On successful completion of this course you can then go on to complete the 15 literacy questions on Tameside area ‘knowledge’ – an essential for any taxi driver. You will be notified of your result by email and your certoifcate sent through the post identifying your student id number. A copy of the certificate is also be sent to the local authority to help eliminate fraud in taxi licensing. On receipt of this and any other tests you may have had to complete, you can then apply for your Taxi Driver Badge. You will need to take your pass certificate and student ID with you to the local authority to gain your license.