The Travel and Tourism industry is one of the largest growth areas for employment. According to the World Travel & Tourism Council, the Travel & Tourism Sector has recently grown by 3.9%, generated 10.4 % of all global economic activity and contributed to 319 million jobs worldwide.
Have you ever wondered how the tourism industry works? Have you ever wanted to learn about tourism in different countries and as well as the UK? Are you interested in the huge range of employment opportunities within the sector? Then this is the course for you!
The world of travel is a dynamic and rapidly changing one. For you to succeed, you will need to learn and develop a wide range of new skills and demonstrate these in an often vibrant and competitive environment. You will have an amazing opportunity to achieve and demonstrate this on our 1-year course.
Every sector of tourism needs to adopt professional standards of organisation, high personal standards and a keen eye for customer focus. You will develop the skills and knowledge required to enable you to stand out in a competitive market place.
You will learn from hands on activities that will test your presentation and organisational skills preparing you for employment in the industry. You will also undertake course work which will develop your academic writing and get you ready for either entering directly into the sector or progressing onto Level 3. For you to succeed, you will need to learn and develop a wide range of new skills and demonstrate these in a variety of assessments covering subjects such as customer service, communication, travel agency operations, airports & airlines, hospitality as well as UK coastal tourism
Your lessons will be structured and varied, so that you develop vital skills and knowledge required for the industry. We look at developing your confidence and communication skills and you will be encouraged on a weekly basis to actively use your own initiative in lessons and work independently as well as within a team.
The teaching team is excited to be joining you on the next step of your journey into the vibrant world of Travel and Tourism.
We really want you to enjoy your time with us and to be the very best version of yourself that you can possibly be. We will support you, challenge you and open your eyes to the potential for a fantastic and varied career in a multitude of industries.
Whilst you will benefit from all of the advantages of being associated with a large college, our department gains much strength from being small, giving it a feel of closeness and a teacher: student ratio which ensures you will be supported, challenged and nurtured as an individual.
You will be assigned a Progress Tutor who will specifically look after your pastoral and course requirements.
You will have the opportunity to be involved in a rich and diverse enrichment programme, which will include;
● Visits to travel and tourism organisations in the Manchester and surrounding areas
● Guest speakers from prestigious companies that are at the forefront of travel industry
● Inspirational overnight visit to inspire you from a visitor’s perspective.
● Opportunities to gain first-hand experience working in the hospitality industry
● Exciting day trip to Dublin to look at customer service within the industry
All of this will support you in;
● Development of your presentation skills;
● Boosting your IT skills;
● Improving your written and verbal communication;
● Developing your team-working skills;
● Developing your time management skills;
● Developing your numerical skills through the study of travel agency operations
We would expect students to have achieved a good level of English and Mathematics and so require 4 GCSE’s grade 3 including Maths or English. However, if you have a real passion to study Travel & Tourism with us, but have not achieved the required grades, please do arrange to come in for a chat – we’re very happy to help to support you in your future.
This is a full time course, which we approach in a very practical way. You will be expected to undertake group work to create and deliver presentations; you will be expected to write assignments and take part in role plays.
On successful completion of the course, you can progress onto:
● Level 3 Travel & Tourism
● An Apprenticeship; working in a multitude of sectors in areas such as travel agents, tour operators and in some cases the airline environment.
● Full time Employment; often including cabin crew roles, travel agency positions, holiday representatives, cruise ship opportunities, airport ground roles, the hospitality industry and much more! (age 18+)