Have you ever wondered how the tourism industry works? Have you ever wanted to learn about different countries and cultures as well as the huge range of employment opportunities? Then this is the course for you.
The world of travel is a dynamic and rapidly changing one. For you to succeed, you will need to learn and develop a wide range of new skills and demonstrate these in an often vibrant and competitive environment. You will have an amazing opportunity to achieve and demonstrate this on our 2-year course.
Travel and tourism is one of the fastest growing industries in the world. It accounts for 10% of employment globally. Every sector of tourism needs to adopt professional standards of organisation, high personal standards and a keen eye for customer focus.
You will develop the skills and knowledge required to enable you to stand out in a competitive market place.
You will learn from hands on, ‘live’ project driven activities that will test your presentation and organisational skills preparing you for the ever changing world of travel. You will also undertake course work which will develop your academic writing and get you ready for either entering directly into the sector or progressing to university. For you to succeed, you will need to learn and develop a wide range of new skills and demonstrate these in a variety of assessments such as designing and developing news articles, blogs, welcome meetings, tour guiding, exploring the sales and marketing process, and much more!
Your lessons will be structured in such a way that you will work to set briefs, meaning that most of your work will be project based, requiring you to work with commitment and team work as you develop your skills and then have the opportunity to practice these in a travel environment or within the classroom environment.
The whole team is really excited to be joining you on the next step of your journey into the exciting world of International Travel and Tourism.
We really want you to enjoy your time with us and to be the very best version of yourself that you can possibly be. We will support you, challenge you and open your eyes to the potential for a fantastic and varied career in a multitude of industries.
Whilst you will benefit from all of the advantages of being associated with a large college, our department gains much strength from being small, giving it a feel of closeness and a teacher: student ratio which ensures you will be supported, challenged and nurtured as an individual.
You will be assigned a Progress Tutor who will specifically look after your pastoral and course requirements.
You will have the opportunity to be involved in a rich and diverse enrichment programme, which will include;
● Plan, organise and manage a real life event
● Gain work experience opportunities at prestigious venues throughout Manchester and the surrounding areas
● Inspirational visits to prestigious companies that are at the forefront of travel industry
● Undertake an overseas trip to inspire you and guide you from a visitors perspective.
All of this will support you in;
● Development of your presentation skills;
● Boosting your IT skills;
● Improving your written and verbal communication;
● Developing your team-working skills;
● Developing your time management skills;
● Developing your numerical skills through the study of business travel.
We would expect students to have achieved a good level of English and Mathematics and so require 4 GCSE’s grade 9 - 4, including Maths or English at grade 4 and above. However, if you have a real passion to study Business with us, but have not achieved the required grades, please do arrange to come in for a chat – we’re very happy to help to support you in your future.
This is a full time course, which we approach in a very practical way.
You will be expected to undertake group work to create and deliver presentations; you will be expected to write reports which are formal assessment for elements of the units throughout the course. You will also be assessed on your contribution and performance in the classroom to enable the development of your travel and tourism knowledge and application through sharing of ideas, theory in practice and leadership and management skills.
Grading runs from Distinction* through to Distinction, Merit or Pass Level.
On successful completion of the course, you can progress onto:
● A Higher Level Apprenticeship; working in a multitude of sectors in areas such as travel agents, tour operators and in some cases the airline environment.
● Full time Employment; often including cabin crew roles, travel agency positions, holiday representatives, cruise ship opportunities, airport ground roles, the hospitality industry and much more!
● Education; many young people then go onto university to study travel and tourism management or international tourism studies.