The Foundation Diploma is for learners looking to study construction as a one-year, full-time course, or for those wishing to take it alongside another area of contrasting or complementary study, as part of a two-year, full-time study programme.
It supports progression to higher education, if taken as part of a programme of study that includes other BTEC Nationals or A Levels. It also supports progression to an Apprenticeship in the construction sector or to a further year of study at Level 3.
Level 3: Duration 1 Year. BTEC Pearson Course covers many different aspects of Construction Management and Organisation. Year 1 - Modules internally assessed unless stated – Mandatory Units:
1. Health, Safety in Construction and the Built Environment
2. Construction Principles
3. Construction Design
4. Graphical Detailing in Construction
5. Provision of Primary Services in Construction
6. Quantity Surveying
7. Construction Technology
To complete the Extended Diploma a further year of study of 11 units will be required.
An Individual Learning Plan will be designed for your needs:
● You will be assigned a Personal Tutor and a Progress Tutor who specifically look after your pastoral and course requirements
● You will work with the latest industry tooling as used by qualified Construction Professionals
● On your course you will experience Industry talks, Industry visits and participate in a programme of work-experience designed to give you valuable skills required for you to succeed in the world of work.
● You will be encouraged to complete a C.V. and apply for Tameside College Apprenticeships within your chosen specialism
Successful interview with a Construction Specialist.
5 GCSE’s grade C or 4 -9 (Must include English or Maths).
In year 1 there are 3 units which are assessed externally by BTEC, these comprise of the following -
1 Construction Principles
2 Construction Design
3 Tendering and Estimating
All other units are assessed internally on a pass, merit or distinction grading.
This qualification will prepare learners for direct employment in the construction and built environment sector, and is ideal if they wish to enter a particular specialist area of work, such as:
● trainee site engineer
● trainee construction project technician
● trainee mechanical/electrical services technician
● trainee technician estimator/buyer/planner
● trainee construction design technician
● Learners may use this qualification as a foundation for a further year of study to achieve a Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Building Studies.