The world of business is a dynamic and rapidly changing one. For you to succeed, you will need to learn and develop a wide range of new skills and demonstrate these in an often vibrant and competitive environment. You will have an amazing opportunity to achieve and demonstrate this on our 2-year course, which focuses predominantly on project-based coursework.
Business and management impacts and shapes local and national economies at pace. Every business needs to adopt professional standards of organisation, maintenance of financial records and develop profitable marketing opportunities.
You will develop the skills and knowledge required to enable you to stand out in a competitive business market place.
You will learn from hands on, ‘live’ project driven activities that will test your entrepreneurial and organisational skills preparing you for the ever changing world of business. For you to succeed, you will need to learn and develop a wide range of new skills and demonstrate these in a variety of assessments such as designing and developing a product to bring to market, designing a business plan, exploring the sales and marketing process, budgets, profit/loss forecasts and business presentations.
Your lessons will be structured in such a way that you will work to ‘Live Briefs’, meaning that most of your work will be project based, requiring you to work with commitment and team work as you develop your business skills and then have the opportunity to practice these in a simulated business environment.
This will include designing and developing a product or service to bring to market, designing a business plan to present to potential investors, learning how to manage the finances of a business as well as managing and delivering real projects on behalf of the college.
The whole team is really excited to be joining you on the next step of your journey into the exciting world of Business.
We really want you to enjoy your time with us and to be the very best version of yourself that you can possibly be. We will support you, challenge you and open your eyes to the potential for a fantastic and varied career in a multitude of industries.
Whilst you will benefit from all of the advantages of being associated with a large college, our department gains much strength from being small, giving it a feel of closeness and a teacher:student ratio which ensures you will be supported, challenged and nurtured as an individual.
You will be assigned a Progress Tutor who will specifically look after your pastoral and course requirements.
You will have the opportunity to be involved in a rich and diverse enrichment programme, which will include;
● Plan, organise and manage a real life event
● Put theory into practice by participating in exciting enterprise challenges
● Gain work experience opportunities at prestigious venues throughout Manchester
● Inspirational visits to prestigious companies that are at the forefront of business opportunity
● Master classes by business professionals within large groups e.g. Yorkshire bank, Hilton Hotel group amongst others.
All of this will support you in;
● Development of your presentation skills;
● Boosting your IT skills;
● Improving your written and verbal communication;
● Developing your team-working skills;
● Developing your time management skills;
● Developing your numerical skills through the study of business finance.
We would expect students to have achieved a good level of English and Mathematics and so require 4 GCSE’s grade 9 - 4, including Maths or English at grade 4 and above. However, if you have a real passion to study Business with us, but have not achieved the required grades, please do arrange to come in for a chat – we’re very happy to help to support you in your future.
This is a full time course, which we approach in a very practical way.
You will be expected to undertake group work to create and deliver presentations; you will be expected to write reports which are formal assessment for elements of the units throughout the course. You will also be assessed on your contribution and performance in the classroom to enable the development of your business knowledge and application through sharing of ideas, theory in practice and leadership and management skills.
Grading runs from Distinction* through to Distinction, Merit or Pass Level.
On successful completion of the course, you can progress onto:
● A Higher Level Apprenticeship; working in a multitude of sectors in areas such as finance and accounting, and business administration
● Full time Employment; often including office administration roles, office based sales roles etc)
● Education; many young people then go onto access Level 4 HNC / Level 5 HND in Business or other Higher Education courses at available at Tameside College and Universities across the UK.