This course is aimed at students with a keen interest in the maintenance and repair of vehicles that would like to gain employment as a vehicle technician within the automotive maintenance and repair industry.
Working on a range of vehicle rigs and cars learn how an engine works, how to perform a vehicle inspection, A range of automotive foundation skills, Brakes. Wheels and tyres, Exhaust, Petrol engines, Basic electrical systems, understand why different components and systems are used on various cars and much more.
This engaging and motivating Vocationally Related Qualification (VRQ) is generally aimed at learners 14-19 years old, who have a keen interest to learn about maintenance of Light Vehicles and the different roles that are available in motor industry repair.
This Light Vehicle route allows learners to have the flexibility to develop their knowledge and skills across a variety of specialist areas to prepare them for further studies and potentially enter into a job role they desire in the future.
This is a full time programme; you will sit an exam for 1 unit. You will learn through a variety of methods which will aim to meet the needs of each individual and accommodate different learning styles for example, case studies, assessments, group work, practical work, projects and interactive activities.
The course involves a combination of theory and practical work which is covered over 3-4 days. This course runs for 35 weeks early September to late June.
· Train to be a Vehicle Maintenance Technician in our realistic workshop environment.
· Work with highly trained tutors on real vehicles and the latest training rigs.
· Learn industry recognised maintenance and repair procedures, whilst using your own 150-piece toolkit! (subject to cost)
· Learn how to use a wide range of workshop equipment, including:
Vehicle jacks and 2 post and 4 post vehicle lifts.
Industry standard tyre changing machines and wheel balancing systems.
Laser guided wheel alignment system.
Latest vehicle diagnostic equipment.
· Study inside our well-equipped garage and fine tune your skills on purpose-built rigs for electrical, brakes and suspension.
· You will gain sector specific knowledge and experience from guest speakers and educational visits from manufacturers and recognised Automotive Industry representatives.
· Full programme of enrichment built in by your tutor and the College enrichment team
To enrol on the Level 1 Certificate, you will be required to undertake an interview and will be expected to be enthusiastic about working in the Automotive Maintenance and Repair sector.
As a Vehicle Maintenance Technician you have to understand engineering, electrical systems and even vehicle plumbing! It is therefore essential you achieve the highest GCSE grades you can.
The unit assessments are made up of three components:
· Practical tasks (set by City and Guilds)
· Online testing (set by City and Guilds) – 1 Online test in total
· Written Assessments (set by City and Guilds) 5 mandatory
Performance is tracked and reviewed by mechanical tutors at specific points during the term. Satisfactory performance will be required in all aspects of the course for progression to Level 2. Progression is to a Level 2 Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles or a Level 2 Apprenticeship in in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles